I have a fish story

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

I had a some extra time waiting or grille brackets/headlight screws.

So I decided to tackle my console project I have over the years collected 4, the nicest one is a factory black if you ever get your hands on a true factory black console or any other interior part that is black ,they always seem to hold up the best as far as color,in my climate .

two consoles are from our chally and cuda, they are blue not the most favorable color for my, and I also picked up a cheap unit some one did a poor dye job.( IT SEEMS PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM REMOVING HINGES, DOOR LATCHES,LIGHT PLATES ETC. TO PAINT PROPERLY..............SAME IN HOUSES IT IS JUST ME?)

My main point is Mopar did a different console , in 70(ash tray) ,and after that they changed the area behind the console door (seat belt holder),not totally sure on that but for some reason I have the units with the seat belt holder and I feel it looks unfinished and I wont be using factory belt any way so I opted for the ash tray console and chose to restore that.

It did have some broken parts near the seat area , a comone area to break ,alot of stress there and the repair wont show since the seat will be in the view, but I needed to make sure the repair wont break again.

I used my self curing monomer and polymer and bonded in two steel wires for strength , this repair can be done by anyone using self curing acrylic nails(the type women get those fake nails) from a beauty salon or a local drug store ,that stuff will work well :thumbright:
Attachments
console resto 007.jpg
console resto 007.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
console resto 004.jpg
console resto 004.jpg (102.35 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
console resto 002.jpg
console resto 002.jpg (93.26 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
console resto 001.jpg
console resto 001.jpg (120.19 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Adding the wire will help, and I just dont want to spend another 3 to 4 hundred bucks for something I can repair and use ,and if something happens I have some spare parts or trading/selling material.

Back to the car I did get the parts needed for some more trial fit of the grille,fenders,hood,doors.

This was done before but after replacing all these panels it was amazing how well everything fir with a few hours of tweaking ,I installed all of it my self ,got it close and the got my my mate Jim to help get things a bit closer knowing all along it will again have to come apart.
Attachments
body panel 005.jpg
body panel 005.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
console resto 016.jpg
console resto 016.jpg (148.59 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
console resto 010.jpg
console resto 010.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
console resto 013.jpg
console resto 013.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Last edited by drewcrane on Sun May 12, 13 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

this is the 2nd AAR hood from Year one it has an inner steel reinforcement structure along the outer mounting edges,but it still aint straight ,

it still has a warp in the middle not as bad as factory hoods(It did flatten out alot in the sun)

but enough to see it ,but no worries the hood and tops of fenders as well as door will get a semi flat masque and also hood pins(they will help keep the edges down .

I probably wont use hinges, just a prop rod, to reduce the pressure and help keep the hood flat.

the doors get set first, since the quarter panels dictate where the door edge is , the doors will dictate where the fenders go.

So we took the front end off as a whole clip and got the doors as close to the quarters ,have a good gap and set the front clip back on and the worst area is the top of the fender/door area/ some welding of some steel rod and some grinding and the gap will be much better.

Got both grilles fitted, not an easy task but the fit pretty well ,for now..............

It all has to come off for paint :help:
Attachments
body panel 009.jpg
body panel 009.jpg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
body panel 017.jpg
body panel 017.jpg (146.64 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
body panel 011.jpg
body panel 011.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
body panel 010.jpg
body panel 010.jpg (65.26 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Cuda Looks Tough as Hell....bloody love this therad, Christ i thought id taken mine apart, thats amazing Drew :thumbright: :thumbright:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Pete

Post by Pete »

The AAR Hood works really well with those Gills and the Grille 8-) 8-)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

AllKiller wrote:Cuda Looks Tough as Hell....bloody love this therad, Christ i thought id taken mine apart, thats amazing Drew :thumbright: :thumbright:
Yea when you end up taking a car apart with a drill and a spot weld bit ,that is abut as far as one can go,thanks for the interest :thumbright:
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Pete wrote:The AAR Hood works really well with those Gills and the Grille 8-) 8-)
Yes we like the look too ,there are a few people over here doing this look,a look ma Mopar never did ,I think it is a great look they all seem to make the car have a look of full sinister look :lol:
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

We restored a 71 grille on the convertible....lot of work and very intricate
ALL KILLER NO FILLER

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

AllKiller wrote:We restored a 71 grille on the convertible....lot of work and very intricate
Sigh ............man the grille alone is a pia, and now I am trying to get it to fit right ,

with the head lights sitting correctly in the grille so it doesn't look like it is trying to look around a corner :roll:
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

drewcrane wrote:
AllKiller wrote:We restored a 71 grille on the convertible....lot of work and very intricate
Sigh ............man the grille alone is a pia, and now I am trying to get it to fit right ,

with the head lights sitting correctly in the grille so it doesn't look like it is trying to look around a corner :roll:
good luck Drew...we didnt have thatproblem, all went on ok but the car was all factory parts in great condition.
ALL KILLER NO FILLER

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

AllKiller wrote:
drewcrane wrote:

good luck Drew...we didnt have thatproblem, all went on ok but the car was all factory parts in great condition.
Well I think it has to do with the aftermarket AMD fenders the random area they welded in the locator nuts to install the plate the holds the headlights in place it has alot of room for adjustment

,but both plates needed some adjustment , not a big deal it wont be seen ,

but I never assume anything will fit ,especially with all the repairs made to the grille and totally new sheet metal ,

I also have these house finches back for the third year they must like Mopars :D and the pinon snubber for a nest stabilizer :thumbright:
Attachments
House Finches 002.jpg
House Finches 002.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
House Finches 004.jpg
House Finches 004.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

=P~

Cracking Stuff Drew.......... 8-)

Love your Chally.......Like this one even more. Best Grill style on any year Cuda full stop! :thumbright:

May of missed it whilst looking at the photo's........But have you decided on a colour scheme for this?

Keep the pics and progress coming mate! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Dave81 wrote:=P~

Cracking Stuff Drew.......... 8-)

Love your Chally.......Like this one even more. Best Grill style on any year Cuda full stop! :thumbright:

May of missed it whilst looking at the photo's........But have you decided on a colour scheme for this?

Keep the pics and progress coming mate! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Yea any colour as long as it is black, we will do a black masque, from the fenderline across the hood , argent tail panel with some type of custom billboard or hocky stick strip it is the wifes decision , but I have alot of influence :D
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Even the wildlife out there has taste then Drew.
Choice of any muscle car to nest in and they've chose a Mopar for 3 years on the trot !!! 8-)
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Mossy68 wrote:Even the wildlife out there has taste then Drew.
Choice of any muscle car to nest in and they've chose a Mopar for 3 years on the trot !!! 8-)
Yea I try to leave them be , but come feeding time they chirp really loud,so I get up sneak over there and have a peek then Ma an Pa see my and fly away leaving them with their beaks open .

And yea three years ,good for them ,hope they come back every year.

This is about as close as I can get with the headlights/grille so it will do
Attachments
004.jpg
004.jpg (117.76 KiB) Viewed 1241 times