1969 charger 500

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

1969 charger 500

Post by Anonymous »

Here's my 69 charger 500, i found it by chance on a trip to LA last year. It was sitting in a garage next to an original numbers matching 71 Hemi cuda conv (which is featured in the march 2005 mopar collectors guide page 11).
Peter the bloke i brought it from had another 69 charger 500, this was a 4-speed car which John (Baccaruda) now owns.
My 500 is an auto and was originally going to be used as a donor car for the 4-speed car back in the early 80's, luckly it was saved from this fate and restored first as it didnt need as much work.

Me and John went back to LA a couple of weeks later and had just 4 days to put the charger back together to ship home.
Axle broken, upper control arm broken, rad needed recoring, engine needed rebore +line bore, new windscreen, locate + buy missing parts etc but we done it in the 4 days with a bit of help from Peter.

I havent done too much to it as i want to finish my 68 charger R/T that ive had for the last 15 years first.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Superb! Yeah, I noticed the headlamp too, but the car's there, on the road, where it should be :wink:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

I wonder how many people on this board realise just how rare and desirable a 1969 Dodge Charger 500 is? It ain't like the 1970 Charger 500.

The 1969 Dodge Charger 500 was the forerunner to the Daytona, and shares a similar (XX29) VIN*. In an effort to streamline the Charger for NASCAR racing, a flush grill (similar to the 1968 Coronet) and rear window were fitted. Only 580 were made. To make the car legal for NASCAR racing Dodge had to produce 500 cars. The 440 was the standard engine, - the only option being the 426 Hemi. Later, the car evolved further receiving a nosecone and a rear wing and was renamed Charger Daytona. Make no mistake, - the 1969 Dodge Charger 500 is a very important car.

*I stated above that Charger 500 VIN?s are XX29. Actually it seems the first few 500?s produced had XS29 (same as Charger R/T) but this was quickly changed.

In 1970 the 500 name was used basically as a trim option on common or garden 318 and 383 Dodge Chargers, - shame.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ah, but did they build enough to actually qualify them for racing ?

:wink:
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Point well made Jim, yes, we do tend to be overlooking how very special that car is.

Still looks brilliant though and be careful when you put that windshield trim back on! :wink:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Jim

Post by Jim »

Now Sandy, .. I said they built 580, - but as you probably know that is not necessarily true. There were accusations that Chrysler had some cars 'counted twice' and the true figure is actually around 360 cars.

The problem was because they were only available with 440 or Hemi engines they couldn't sell enough of them.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:)

Intriguing car. Fantastic to see one in the U.K. as well. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal sometime.