Andy's 73 Barracuda

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Andy, that sir, is one lovely piece of kit, congratulations! It's even the right colour combo! :thumbright:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Charger

Post by Charger »

SOMtastic wrote:it’s the old dodgy Chrysler firewall connectors and/or the antiquated alt gauge
check the ammeter has been bypassed, the original system is the work of Beelzebub …

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... uges.shtml

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Charger wrote: ...the original system is the work of Beelzebub …
Isn’t it just :)
My by-pass cable should have eliminated the ammeter from the equation.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

SOMtastic wrote:
Charger wrote: ...the original system is the work of Beelzebub …
Isn’t it just :)
My by-pass cable should have eliminated the ammeter from the equation.
Only if you or the PO has had the dash out. If you've just added the front cable (alt to starter solenoid). Then you effectively have two charging circuits........Not a problem, as the addition will charge the battery, but the potential old wiring issues in the dash may be retained!
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Dave wrote:Jack a front wheel up. Press the brake. Then see if the wheel will spin easily by hand. If it feels like the brakes are still grabbing after you have let off the brake pedal then you need to remove that valve I mentioned.
Finally got round to wiping the wheels off to check for brake binding.
Both front wheels rotate freely with little effort. You can hear a faint rubbing noise as they go round but that sounds like any other car I’ve owned.
I’ve not checked the back wheels (for braking function) – bit it only passed it’s MOT a couple of weeks ago – so if there was excessive forward bias it would have failed.. so I don’t think it’s a case of the front brakes doing all the work. How odd.. perhaps I’m just a big girl with the brakes ?
I’ll stop on the way to Tatton tomorrow to see if they’re hot during normal use (ie no daft hill descents)
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Dave81 wrote: Only if you or the PO has had the dash out. If you've just added the front cable (alt to starter solenoid). Then you effectively have two charging circuits........Not a problem, as the addition will charge the battery, but the potential old wiring issues in the dash may be retained!
Understood. Ammeter is still there so all I’ve done is create a lower resistance to the battery to cure the charging issue … which may – thinking about it - have been down to a dodgy battery – as the old one is resolutely refusing to charge out side the car !
Aside from charging – what other dash wiring issue should I be aware of ??
;)
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

SOMtastic wrote:
Dave wrote:Jack a front wheel up. Press the brake. Then see if the wheel will spin easily by hand. If it feels like the brakes are still grabbing after you have let off the brake pedal then you need to remove that valve I mentioned.
Finally got round to wiping the wheels off to check for brake binding.
Both front wheels rotate freely with little effort. You can hear a faint rubbing noise as they go round but that sounds like any other car I’ve owned.
You did press the brake pedal first though yes?
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Aye – gave it a good thorough pumping before checking :)
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

SOMtastic wrote:Aye – gave it a good thorough pumping before checking :)
What you do before you get up in the mornings is not my business. :lol:
68Roadrunner

car

Post by 68Roadrunner »

wow , that is one top quality looking mopar , andy, it ticks all my boxes as well,and your just over the hill from me in Halifax. :)
Jerry Smith

Post by Jerry Smith »

Saw your car at Hebden Bridge today, lovely car, looked great parked with Sam's demon :thumbright:
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Cheers. Was a good show … mainly vintage / post war, but a good showing of Yanks… 20 maybe…
Including 68Roadrunner with his Dart - looking cool as ever – good to meet you again.
A few older Plymouths, and a fella I met at Tatton with his GL Charger.
Had a chat to Sam – she’s had pretty much every Mopar going by the sound of things !
Got a few decent contacts as well – local mechanics and so-on .. all very useful.

The brakes are still a bit of a worry – but I’ve got the hang of the auto – forcing it into low gear on descents which is helping.

Now for steering :D
It’s very sloppy indeed… a good 12 degrees of play.. so to stay in a straight line involves sawing away like billyo. The main reason I didn’t RWYB at the nats !!
Well – there’s plenty of play in the box itself (power), but also some play in the coupler – where it connects with the main column to the steering wheel. Neither look ideal.
After having a chat with a couple of blokes at the nats – it was unanimously agreed that “it shouldn’t do that” … the consensus being that the box was “goosed” … but you might be able to adjust it a bit.
The contentious point was “replace it with what ?” … the most convincing bloke I spoke to (Andy – with the police car and a red GTX) suggested that while a new power box will help – it will still feel generally nasty. (a cock ache were his words I think) . He’d replace it with a manual box and put some more air in the front wheels.
This having the added bonus of releasing a smidgen of extra horse power not having to spin a pump.
I’ve no particular problem with heavy steering at low speed – so this doesn’t bother me too much.

On the other hand - Another bloke I spoke to was horrified that I’d even consider such an idea … tantamount to blasphemy. Then again he was also unnaturally interested in the VIN - and if the strobe stripes were ever offered on the 73 model … and so on.
That said – he was not alone in his views.
So – what to do ?? .. power or manual ??
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

There is some adjustment in the power box which might improve things a bit, but this may well just be a temporary fix, if you adjust it too far, the steering will be notchy.

I've just finished a power to manual conversion, also used a flaming river power column to manual box adaptor. If you have problems with the steering coupler, you could just try changing it for a flaming river power coupler, this will fix the coupler issues permanently.

Also worth putting a wanted ad up for a power box to see if yours is just too far gone. Check the three bolts that hold the steering box to the chassis / K frame as well, they can work loose.

If you want to go to manual steering, do it, it's your car and you have to be comfortable and feel safe driving it :thumbright:
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Good points Rebel.
I’ll have a go at adjusting a bit and see what happens.

How are you finding manual vs power .. not too heavy ??
What made you decide to change ?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Manual steering is nice. But you end up with more turns lock to lock on the steering wheel.

I had a 20:1 ratio box on my Challenger (from Firm Feel) with a slightly smaller than stock diameter steering wheel. It drove lovely. But you still need a good front end alignment. I did mine myself.