Andy's 73 Barracuda

A place to show off your Pride and Joy

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

That car is epic, jeez it looks new. Wheels of course are just 'proper'. Hope it drives as well as it looks :thumbright:
jerry

Post by jerry »

Really a nice looking car, no wonder your pleased :thumbright:
68 beeper

Post by 68 beeper »

Welcome Stunning car !
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Absolutely stunning....... 8-)

Not one thing i'd change apart from the owner (to me that is ;) ) :thumbright:

Can't wait to see it in person.........

As for starting issue. Is battery new?
If not i'd look at the starter next.......happy hunting!!! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
BJ Mac

Post by BJ Mac »

Stunning car =P~ Quite partial to steels and dog dishes myself :thumbright:
71 Dodge Dart
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Nice looking Cuda mate and yes it is a good experience when you see your car for the first time and know that it is what you wanted.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing it.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Wow, that is gorgeous. As good underneath as on top.
Beautiful.

Euronats trophy contender I feel.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Thanks for the great comments – I’m made up.
It’s not a starting issue per-se Dave81 – it’s a non-charging battery issue.
Hook up a fully charged battery and it fires up no trouble.

I’m seeing a good 13.5 volts at the alternator on idle, but more like 11.5 at the battery – so it’s not charging.
When the engine is off I’m seeing about 10 volts at the alternator (back from the battery) –so I’m guessing it’s the old dodgy Chrysler firewall connectors and/or the antiquated alt gauge.
The plan is to simply bypass the whole shebang by running some decent cable straight from the alt to the main post on the starter relay.
That said – I’m not 100% convinced I should be seeing voltage at the alternator when the engine is off.. need to do some googling there. If not it’s probably dodgy ignition switch or some such.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

SOMtastic wrote:Thanks for the great comments – I’m made up.
It’s not a starting issue per-se Dave81 – it’s a non-charging battery issue.
Hook up a fully charged battery and it fires up no trouble.

I’m seeing a good 13.5 volts at the alternator on idle, but more like 11.5 at the battery – so it’s not charging.
When the engine is off I’m seeing about 10 volts at the alternator (back from the battery) –so I’m guessing it’s the old dodgy Chrysler firewall connectors and/or the antiquated alt gauge.
The plan is to simply bypass the whole shebang by running some decent cable straight from the alt to the main post on the starter relay.
That said – I’m not 100% convinced I should be seeing voltage at the alternator when the engine is off.. need to do some googling there. If not it’s probably dodgy ignition switch or some such.
:thumbright:

Sensible mod running a direct wire (just done it myself).
If its a charging issue, next step would be Voltage Regulator. Make sure contact surface is clean and metal to metal behind (casing uses the mounting bolt area as a ground). If still an issue you can get them new for £15-£20 in the UK (Real Steel, Customville). :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

OK – think I’ve got the charging issue sorted… one of the field connectors on the alternator pretty much came away in my hand so re-crimped that, fitted my chunky by-pass cable and put in a new battery for good measure. All now seems well :)

Blown fuse was the cause of the side lights not working. The old fuse said “34V” on the side – so no idea what that means. Fitted a 15amp.
Why it blew I’ve no idea, but there was some odd goings on with indicators not flashing, and side lights flashing instead .. which seems to have “gone away” .. not a very satisfactory conclusion though :(

More pressing now though is the brakes. Went for a test drive Saturday to check the charging and noticed the brakes fading a bit after a longish decent (There are many large hills in my part of the world). Was fine by the time I got back ... so suspected a touch of over heating.
On Sunday though I went for a longer drive, and they faded to virtually nothing…on a big hill - lucky I was wearing brown trousers ! I managed to stop in someone’s drive and the (front) wheels were scorching hot.. Steam came of when I doused them with water.
I Let it all cool down for a good while, then I was able to gingerly get down the hill and home. But it scared the sh*t out of me.

It has discs up front – I’ve not had the wheels off yet to have a look – but here’s a pic from on-line before I purchased.

There’s plenty of fluid and they seem to work pretty well when at a sensible temperature… So question is – is this a common problem, and the solution to avoid big hills ?
Or maybe it because it’s an auto and affords less engine braking ? (never driven an auto before)
I Put it in “1” rather than “D” to get the gear low, but still - engine braking was minimal.
I seemed to gather less speed when coasting in Neutral.
Or – should I be upgrading callipers / discs / pads etc ??
Any Advise gratefully received !
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

It should brake well even in "Drive" where there is little or no engine braking.

Sounds to me like the brakes have just not been installed correctly.

Maybe they didn't "bench bleed" the master cylinder. Maybe (most likely from what you describe) they have used what was probably the original drum brake master cylinder and the fronts are binding a bit and so overheating?

If it is a drum master cylinder you need to remove the residual valve from the outlet port of the cylinder for the front brakes.

You should get engine braking in anything lower than "Drive".
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Do the front wheels rotate freely when you have the front jacked up???

They should not be fading unless vigorous braking activity........Sounds like they are binding slightly leading to excessive friction, heat and boiling the brake fluid (which I'd also now change) = no brakes!

That's the first thing I'd check....from there others will be better placed to have a stab at it!!!
72 Dodge Dart

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Jack a front wheel up. Press the brake. Then see if the wheel will spin easily by hand. If it feels like the brakes are still grabbing after you have let off the brake pedal then you need to remove that valve I mentioned.
SOMtastic

Post by SOMtastic »

Wow – you guys are awesome.

I’ve not had the wheels off yet – but a binding check is the first and easiest thing.

Thinking about it - there’s an awful lot of brake dust on the wheels – much more than I’d expect after the miles I’ve done ... so unless the pads shed a lot of extra dust when over heated – this suggests to me they are binding a bit and are wearing and heating up anyway under normal use. The heaver breaking on descent prob just tips them over the edge perhaps.
Interesting about reusing the old master cylinder – I’ll check that out as well.
=D>
Guy

Post by Guy »

Make sure that you also check the rear brakes as if they are not working the fronts will be doing all the work, I have seen the rear brakes backed right off to try and stop rear lock up ..