Looking for some stuff - wheels & starter motor

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

CLPete

Looking for some stuff - wheels & starter motor

Post by CLPete »

Hi, a little while back someone was selling some VE wheels on here. I did ask, but things at work etc overtook me for some time & I didn't follow up on them. At the time, I had thought "never know when you might need them".

Well, as luck would have it, my CH has dud wheels (some weird welded things that I doubt will pass!).

Does anyone happen to have any Aussie wheels that would fit my CH (or know someone who does) - of course, they'd have to be wanting or able to sell them!

Plus, I think the starter motor is on the way out on the VE - anyone have one lying around? I'd like to drive it down to the ACE Cafe Australia day out on the 25th, but as it stands at the moment, I'd need the hammer to make sure it started!
1968 VE Valiant VIP (on road)
1972 CH Chrysler by Chrysler ("project")
1969 VF Valiant VIP (best called "spares")
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi there.

I don't really know what you are after but I have a couple of steel 6 x 14" steels if that would get you out of trouble........hope you get it fixed in time...
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Hi Pete, I'm basically after some basic steel wheels (the more "standard" the better) as the current wheels are not in my opinion road worthy.

They'd need to have the right stud-pattern though, to fit the CH.

If yours are off a Valiant, I'd be interested.

The CH won't be going anywhere anytime soon, sadly (kids eating up too much of my time!).

It's the VE I have that is playing up with the starter motor - it starts ... after a fashion. You just need to be patient at the moment, but I think it might be on the way out, and one day I fear being patient won't be enough! I'd hate to be miles away in say London and find it gives up the ghost!
Pete

Post by Pete »

These would be 4 1/2" PCD......
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

any 5 on 4.5 PCD wheel in 5 6 or 7 inch will fit

you can fit 195 70 s 225 or 235 60s on the front and up to 235 60 on the back

in fact you have more space than a dart on the back

so you could go for 16 o 17 inch wheels if you wanted

keep in mind also that the rear axle can be swapped for an 8 3/4 out of a mid 60s B body if you want... but you will need to use a cut down B body tails shaft get yors changed and a conversion joint to go from small to big on the new axle
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS i think the VE used the aussie Bosch V8 starter

if so you can probably swap the pinion and reduction gear head onto any ausie bosch starter

you may also find commonality with Euro Bosch starters

if it doesn't work any small block starter should as your CH will have i guess a 904 or 727 behind its 318 or 360 common bolt pattern and US ring gear on both of them

if you have got a 360 tghere is a good chance your axle will be a 4 pinion gear, sure-grip borg warner M78

strong enough to do the job but saddled with 2.77:1 ratio gears 2.77:1 is the wrong side of the ratio split for the centre all other gears need the other centre which didn't come in 4 pinion. you'd need a ring gear spacer or a differnet centre (KAAZ do clutch plate centres and a range of companies now do eaton stsyel tru track style centres. lots of options but you need new half shafts. standard are a sacrifical part

Dave
Last edited by Dave999 on Wed Jan 14, 15 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minty

Post by Minty »

Got a couple of aussie bosch starters here pete,moved over to US mini starter and TC
let us know if you want one
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 -1006 Magnum 360 Rocket ship
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 rolling shell under restoration -667
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
Minty

Post by Minty »

Got a couple of aussie bosch starters here pete,moved over to US mini starter and TC
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Minty wrote:Got a couple of aussie bosch starters here pete,moved over to US mini starter and TC
Hi Minty, would be very interested actually. Will PM you.

Ta.
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Dave999 wrote:any 5 on 4.5 PCD wheel in 5 6 or 7 inch will fit

Ok, have got my head around "PCD" now. As I understand it, you mean any 5x114.3 PCD rims. But, they seem to come in a number of "Central Bore" & "Offset" options. I assume the cental bore could be checked by measuring the hole in the current rims, but the offset?

Whilst it is getting on 15 years since I did any "real" work on my last Valiant, much of that work was alot easier in "the day". In fact, I never really needed to learn "technical stuff" ... simply pop on down to the wreckers and buy another "thing" & swap away. Never needed to know the technical detail for the "thing" as there would always be a load of old Vals (including Chargers) in the yard. Just needed to be handy with the tools, and that was that!

I once bought a whole AP6 from the council "abanonded cars" auction for $100 (I already had a car trailer of sorts) because it had good tyres, and it was cheaper than buying new tyres from the store. Bit of a challenge getting rid of the rest of the car mind (think I gave it away from memory after my mom had a go!).
Minty

Post by Minty »

PM Pete
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

yes sorry

5 bolts or studs on a circle of 4.5 inch for a CH

5 bolts or studs on a circle of 4 inch for VG and earlier

up to VG used left hadned nuts on the passenger side

any US or Australian chrylser wheel from the era will fit, they are all of sensible back space ie the edge of the wheel centre is mounted to the middle of the wheel hoop (same dish both inside and outside)
so if you need a 4.5 PCD 5 lug wheel for an aussie anything from the US designed for a B body A body or E body with 4.5 inch PCD hubs will fit.

modern wheels temd to have massive back space and no dish to the visible face

and anything from australia for post 71 models will fit
aussie ford wheels fit but the hub centre is too big so only use them if you have sleaved wheel centreing nuts they can't be used unless you get some hub centering rings made up if the nuts are nut and washer or acorn nut style.

Hercules do tyres in 14 inch

Northants tyres do them

otherwise 195 65R14 was used on some transit vans and is still available in a style that isn't sticktly comercial tyre and has decent speed rateing. they work well enough on the front.

life is easier in respect to tyres with a 15 inch US wheel than a 14 inch aussie one

Dave
bratfink

Post by bratfink »

The central bore is determined by the hub diameter.

PM/Email me before buying any new brake rotor/hub combo kits. I have uncovered some skullduggery involving Ford bearing races on Chrysler cones to avoid a machining offset issue with these reman parts.

I'll do a full write up at some point.
Blue

Post by Blue »

If it's 4" PCD wheels you are after I have a set of factory wheels with good tyres. Wheels are very good in black powercoat and I have good hubcaps for them as well if needed. Won't be available for a couple of months as my new wheels & tyres aren't here yet.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Hi Blue, it's the 4.5 that I am after. As it happens someone has some wheels on ebay now (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131418565479? ... EBIDX%3AIT) so I'm going to see if they are a close fit or not (will message him).

Interesting about the brake refurb kits as well - be a bit of a bugger if you got some from Aus and they didn't fit properly!

I'm stuck on shock absorbers now. Turns out that whilst a few websites here in the UK list rear shockers for the Valiant, unless I want to order 50 of them, no-one has them in stock (although the sites say they do!).

Anyone have any experience in alternative shockers for their Charger? Getting them from Aus is costly, postage wise!