Lots of Love Needed (A Tall Order)

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

This part Miles

there is a lot of rot in the bulkhead behind the engine, hopefully pull the motor this weekend and get a decent look...
Last edited by ScottyDave on Tue Oct 23, 18 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

MilesnMiles wrote:Dave, have. A very close look at the bulkhead. Especially where the wipers mount as that can be a place where water gathers and rusts through. Some of the yanks see that as a deal breaker area for rust
Bet they've never had the challenge of fixing cars in the Hebrides, we grew up bringing back wrecks from the death... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll get it stripped-down and see how much and where the rot is, then we can make a decision... but I'll expect the worst anything else is a bonus :)
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Fair play mate, pull those plastic grills off by the wipers and check the bowl area below, especially drivers side.
TW71

Post by TW71 »

Good advice there.

The compartment gets a build-up of leaves and crud over the years and the drain holes get blocked, plus they rarely had any paint in there!

Don't let it put you off Dave ;)
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Well my dad and I pulled the engine/trans out on Sunday, was a good day for it with us completing the task just as the rain started.
Amazingly not one bolt was seized with everything coming apart as it should even the downpipes :)
Have to say I quite enjoyed myself :lol: with the motor out it's easy to see how foookerd the firewall/bulkhead is :( however the main frame rails are solid as are the rear with the exception of one small hole, both sills are also solid and probably original as they have the studs to clip the sill trim to still in place, only showing signs of rot near the rear arches which are errr yuck, offside A post to roof is also holed in outer skin although inner structure is fine, also has a hole between door hinges offside.
Got a bit of thinking to do as although there is probably more solid than rot in the main structure where she's bad she's really bananaramma

post images

Last edited by ScottyDave on Tue Oct 23, 18 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

:shock: wow that bulkhead is nasty. Is it recoverable, Dave?
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Screen out,dash/heater out,that will mend :thumbright: :thumbright:
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

MilesnMiles wrote::shock: wow that bulkhead is nasty. Is it recoverable, Dave?
Pretty sure it is Miles, base of the cowl bowls is fine.
latil wrote:Screen out,dash/heater out,that will mend :thumbright: :thumbright:
That was a nerve-racking night, took the screen out which we discovered is not the original as someone had bonded it to the dash as well...
Dash and heater tomorrow :)
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Lots of photos,card templates,take your time and that will be the worst over,everything else will seem simple.
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
TW71

Post by TW71 »

:iagree:

Always the first thing to go the bulkhead / firewall, I have seen ones like that even more than 30 years ago, water trap and bare metal .

I know Paul500 who used to be on here had one from a 71 charger for sell as I had the inner wings off him but was years ago. He may still have it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Loving this thread matey :thumbright: :thumbright:

You have lots of space by the looks of it so nice and steady and she will come together. Im with Blue on these projects...I start something and make sure I Bananarama! before hitting the next job. I have dry day and wet day jobs lined up (I do everything on the car outside on the drive). Wet days I can paint stuff up in the garage before reassembly etc so there is always something to get on with.

We are all watching and enjoying your build....you are not alone!

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Quite right Steve. Always finish one job however difficult and then move one ticking it off the list. Always feels better to accomplish something. Also, make sure time is available so no need to rush or bodge it.
Good luck :thumbright:
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Dave, before dis assembling the heavy stuff (suspension etc) get some of this and spray it everywhere. It is the dogs!
http://www.oneillvintageford.co.uk/acat ... icant.html

Also keeps moisture out. I use it as temporary under seal. Spray it into every cavity or bare metal and it will protect it. Renew once a year.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Cheers Miles I'll check it out.

Well I'm back home now having had a couple off weeks at the folks. It was a bit of a juggle fitting family holiday time and working on the Charger together but we managed.
The car is now a rolling shell and now awaits its turn to be moved to my brothers place for the repairs to begin...my dad jumped a project in the queue :roll:

Here is my dads sneaky project, a 91 GTO, once back on its wheels and out the way my brother plans to finish preping the bodywork and paint his Victor project then hopefully bring the Charger over

Last edited by ScottyDave on Tue Oct 23, 18 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Didn't find a build sheet when taking the interior out except possibly the remains of it under the back seat.
I did take a photo of the Fender Tag

used a decoder on mymopar tonight, here's the result,
WP29:
Dodge Coronet,Charger
Premium
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G3A: 318 150HP(net) or 170HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Lynch Road, MI, USA

215980: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
JY9: Dark Gold Poly Exterior Color
F6Y4: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Gold/Black
JY6: Gold Poly Int. Door Frames
406: Build Date: April 06
285211: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
U: USA Specifications
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
V7X: Accent Stripes, Black

26: 26in Radiator
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
Last edited by ScottyDave on Tue Oct 23, 18 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.