Steves 72 New Yorker

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve

Post by Steve »

I've been off the boil while my knee was being sorted etc but back on it now. I've finished the front lighting conversion to relays, done the small bit of welding that was needed, new washer and associated wiring, rewired horn circuit, primed roof, replaced rubber fuel pipes and filters, new carpet and adjusted front wheel bearings. Next week I will be tackling the rear lights..... She will be up for sale soon :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Buy em, sell em Steve. Becoming quite a geeza! What's next?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ha ha.... not quite Miles. My circs have changed recently (for the better!) but my knee replacement op has made a lot of the work I want/ need to do very awkward. As a result, I need to re evaluate where my fun in this hobby will come from. Driving and fettling the Polara will be my main 'fun' rather than trying to do what I did with my 66 Fury and this car.

Onwards and upwards!!

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
MattH

Post by MattH »

I had completely forgotten you had this, I thought you were talking about the Polara.
Having sat in Andy Rob's one this year I have a new appreciation of how fabulous these things are.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Steve

Post by Steve »

It is quite an imposing car. Not as nice as Andys but has potential, is very solid and will be a fun car to cruise around in. Can't see me ever parting with the Polara to be honest. I love her too much :thumbright:
Steve

Re: Steves 72 New Yorker

Post by Steve »

MOT time today....passed with no advisories... Im chuffed!

She drove well and pulls like a train! Bit of a stumble off idle but better when warm. think its carburettor related so will have a read up etc.

Just filling in the registration docs so will hopefully be cruising round Brum in her soon,

Cheers Steve :D :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

Few pics...
Attachments
DSC_1457.JPG
DSC_1457.JPG (239.32 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
DSC_1459.JPG
DSC_1459.JPG (215.87 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
DSC_1458.JPG
DSC_1458.JPG (241.15 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
DSC_1456.JPG
DSC_1456.JPG (226.35 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Few more...
Attachments
DSC_1452.JPG
DSC_1452.JPG (242.97 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
DSC_1450.JPG
DSC_1450.JPG (254.4 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
DSC_1450.JPG
DSC_1450.JPG (254.4 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
DSC_1447.JPG
DSC_1447.JPG (243.19 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

Great stuff.
But you really need to lose those amber lights!
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Good news Steve, now time to play ;)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah Stu....but I had to get it through the MOT and although the guy I use is good as gold, needed to see orange at the back. I have rewired the original lighting with orange LEDs into the second light apertures in from both sides. Looked great until I moved the car ready to take for MOT and realised that they don't show through the frosted section of the rear light glass and are only visible when viewed side on. I plan to move them out to the end lenses on both sides but it was 'any port in a storm' one hour before MOT time. I was working in a very confined space next to a fence so couldn't view them straight on. Another option would be to very carefully cut out a section from the original lens and match a section of orange to it. Then I could somehow drop that into the cutout. I wanted to keep the marker lights as far out as possible but wish now I had wired the indicators into both extreme outside pods and the markers in pods 2,3, 5 and 6. Anyway, it got me through and I can now tinker to get the original look back. Pity the back up lights are so central (pods 4 and 5)

Cheers Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Ali... she was a real blast to drive. Smooth as silk gear change, plenty of power for cruising with just a little stumble off idle when accelerating gently from a standstill. If I am quite positive when pulling away I can drive through it and she pulls great. Seemed to get a bit better when warm but not much. Im assuming its something to do with the primary side of the Holley set up but Ive only worked on Edelbrocks and know nothing about setting the Street Avenger up. I have a vac gauge so will do some reading and have a go at it. I think there are two sides to the carb, bit like the idle and WOT sides of the 1406 on my Polara but Im guessing so need to read up on it. Ive set the timing to 16 BTDC initial, disconnected the vac advance and got 36 at 2500 rpm all in. Im happy with how she runs and pulls after idle so am happy the timing is ok. Just need to sort the off idle 'bog'. Rear brakes could be better so will strip and clean everything and check that the wheel cylinders etc are working correctly next week

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Result with the mot mate :)
Such a cool car , despite the lack of doorage !!!
;)
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Steve

Post by Steve »

I do have an angle grinder Gaz so I always have the option to make her even better by cutting a couple of doors in the rear quarters :D :D
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Steve wrote: Sat Oct 07, 17 9:15 pm I do have an angle grinder Gaz so I always have the option to make her even better by cutting a couple of doors in the rear quarters :D :D
:lol: :lol: :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013