Welding explosion.

Moderator: Moderators

Kev

Welding explosion.

Post by Kev »

Has anyone else been merrily welding their Mopar and suddenly have an inferno of metal as you try and weld something not steel? Like it's brass welded or leaded? 'kin 'orrible!
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Ah the joys of welding. :lol:

Not as bad as my mate exploding the sump on my 318 Aussie 770 while welding a patch on. :roll: Blew every gasket on the motor and he looked like a comedy explosion victim with his hair all on end and he was black all over. He looked like a shocked black and white minstrel.

We didn't have much luck with a petrol tank once either.....even though we had ran water through it for ages.

Then of course there was the time I set the Charger 770 on fire....

And how many times have I been under a car welding and set myself on fire? You don't realise until it starts to hurt!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Oh yes! :D How could I forget the weld in the ear hole lark! Always bang my head trying to deal with that one. :lol:

Oh the joys of classic car ownership!
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Once bitten, twice shy. We just bought a new tank for the Chally and chucked the old one out.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I used a pin welder to remove the dents on my tank and pulled the most of the bottom off...gave up the whole shooting match as a bad job and bought a solid one off Dunc...which is what I should have done in the first place. :oops:

Smouldering socks, hair on fire, instant sun tan, you name it, I've had it...Oh the wonders of welding...wait 'til you see my tigged frame connectors :shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
db

Post by db »

Think i've experienced most of those too!! Scariest related incident was chopping a piece of floor out of a mini with a grinder. I noticed a wet patch growing where i was cutting and realised i'd hit the fuel pipe!!! :shock:
Boy did i get out of that mini fast!
It was well below freezing- thats the only reason i can think that it didn't turn into a fireball.
No-one will believe you...
MattH

Post by MattH »

Ah Yes, the joys of welding , I love it .
The blob in the ear is a favourite , but what about the big blob that goes down your arm through the hole in the welding gloves that you keep meaning to replace . I always find the blobs run right down your arm leaving a nice tracer trail down your arm, the question is always whether to clench your teeth and let it burn in the place where it has stopped, or wave your arm about to get rid of it and risk the burn mark going right the way to your shoulder and hurting even more!!
I made a roller for the Challenger so that all the underneath work I can do sitting beside it rather than laying underneath. The shell has only fallen off it once and dented the bonnet .