Compressor- metal pipe- advice please

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

db

Compressor- metal pipe- advice please

Post by db »

I want to run a compressed air line down to the end of my drive.
Is galv electric conduit up to the job?
Will conduit connectors be ok or do I need the proper iron fittings?
It'll go vertically up from the compressor 8ft. Span across to the house wall then along the house for 60ft. Then vertically down 8ft to an outlet.
Should I fit condensate drains, if so where? (It won't be used for spraying, just tools and tyre inflating)

:help:
No-one will believe you...
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Electrical conduit won't cut it Pauly, you'll need to use 1/2" galv barrel, malleable or cast joints, sealed with PTFE paste or tape.

No real need for a drain either, just use a tee with a lever ballvalve below it to empty the line.

I'd happily cut & thread the lines for you but its just getting it there :D
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
db

Post by db »

Thanks mate! Do you have a link to a supplier? I can't find much online info
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

paul,, nice idea but, surely its easier to just buy a long rubber airline or severall thats what i do from the back work shop up to the front of my house takes 2 mins if that and i can blow tires up etc,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
db

Post by db »

Yeah that's what I've been doing Dunc, I just fancied a fixed line to make life easier! I 'found' about 80ft of metal elec conduit in an abandoned room in work so it would have been very cheap!
I'll probably run a black rubber line instead, maybe electric and water while I'm at it :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

We have one of those rubber retractable airlines in the yard at work, it's out in the elements. It only lasts a matter of months before it's going hard and splitting, it will be leaking within a year. Keeping an eye on eBay for some used high pressure pipe might be your best bet?
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Blue wrote:We have one of those rubber retractable airlines in the yard at work, it's out in the elements. It only lasts a matter of months before it's going hard and splitting, it will be leaking within a year. Keeping an eye on eBay for some used high pressure pipe might be your best bet?
Not if you only wind it out as you use it, your not starting a tyre place in youf front drave are you paul...... :shock: ;) ;)
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Jerry Smith

Post by Jerry Smith »

Galv steel is the best job but if your not wanting to cut and thread John Guest make push fit plastic pipe and fittings especially for air, it's blue, used it on a few jobs seems pretty good and very easy to do, the pipes pretty rigid not like hep2o
Just found a link http://www.johnguest.com/our-products/a ... neumatics/
db

Post by db »

Cannonball wrote:
Blue wrote:We have one of those rubber retractable airlines in the yard at work, it's out in the elements. It only lasts a matter of months before it's going hard and splitting, it will be leaking within a year. Keeping an eye on eBay for some used high pressure pipe might be your best bet?
Not if you only wind it out as you use it, your not starting a tyre place in youf front drave are you paul...... :shock: ;) ;)
Temping... ;) Nah, the Truk tyres have always lost pressure. I put off topping them up cos I can't be bothered dragging the airline out, next thing you know I have to go out in the pi55ing rain 11 o'clock at night and there's 10psi in a front tyre :roll:
db

Post by db »

I bought all the bits today, got a 10mm bore pipe and hi-flow fittings. I'm running a line upstairs too (garage not house!). I'll use the ball valve as a condensate drain at the end.
Fingers crossed for a dry day tomorrow to run it across the house wall...
Attachments
Air line bits.jpg
Air line bits.jpg (226.6 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Doug

Post by Doug »

80ft your gunna lose some pressure at the buisness end

Have you not considered getging a portable size on wheels petrol driven saves laying out Cable...just a thought
MOPAR - Move Over Power Arriving Rapidly

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My Mopar upon you
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

You won't lose pressure, just volume or cfm, it will be fine for inflating tyres etc but you might struggle if you want to paint anything.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
db

Post by db »

The bigger pipe should help hopefully?
As you say it's mainly for tyres but occasionally I need to hit the Truk with some serious tools and that lives on the road these days, a LONG way from the garage :? Though there's no danger of me spraying it ever ;)
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Is there any mileage in a halfway house solution like running rubber tube through some thin plastic tube? Something like 1 inch waste pipe... It'd keep it out of the elements and away from the UV.

Just a thought?
-Jon.
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

You could always put another air tank in the workshop, that would give you the volume to run high demand things like impact guns & the compressor could just play catch up.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!