Valiant SV1 in Ireland finally gets some attention

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Scooby

Post by Scooby »

:thumbright: :thumbright:
dubvalman

Post by dubvalman »

Back from the sand prison and bits have been arriving from Australia in the months leading up to my escape.

I finished the install of the disk conversion and QA1 tubular front suspension. For anyone considering to fit this kit, be sure you order the upper control arms with the large tie rod end: Part number QA1-52301.

I had ordered the direct replacement upper arms QA1-52303 only to discover that they don't fit the Classic Performance Parts - DOH!! DOH!!

I got the Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Brake Rod Reaction Bar Set and MOOG two piece bushing set from Hemiperformance. The rods are nicely machined, unfortunately they came with exotic threaded nuts? Which do not suit the bar threads? Someone must have picked nuts from the wrong box when packing them. I had to source some new nuts to fit the rods threads. While doing that I came across the QA1 Dynamic Brake Reaction Rods, QA1 - 52311 - not sure they will fit the SV 1 but ordered some and they are due in early next week, so the front end will be pulled apart one more time to try them out. If they don't fit, it will be the chunky Hemiperformance bars back on and staying.

I went for the Hemiperformance (I'm sounding like an advert for them - I mention them because this is one of the very few companies that ship parts to me or are even polite when I ask them to ship here) - there was a bit of a faff and delay getting customs clearance - but happily it turned up only a couple of days late.

Old rear end removed;

Sand blasted and ready for powder coating - spring hanger brackets.

New springs in, with all new bushings - it was a pain in the butt getting the bolts through the bushings and then getting the bushings to seat against the spring faces again - thankfully done on the bench and thank you air racket Persevered and all shiny and new and fitting like a good thing now.

The axle is in position and looks like it may have come from Clovelly Park like that.

The advertising speel claims it is bolt in - not SO! The original lower shock mount plates are not compatible, same for the original U bolts. It says that it comes with new handbrake cables and brake lines to suit your specific vehicle - not in the box I got? The cables and brake lines are not an issue they can be forwarded to me (cables anyway) or I can make new brake lines. The tad annoying element is the non compatability of the lower shock mounting plate and the U bolts.

I have been back to the boys via email and hopefully they will express me the necessary shock mounts and U bolts.

I will finish bolting this in, when the mounts and U bolts arrive; then is engine and transmission out and off to panel and paint.

Last edited by dubvalman on Sun Jul 29, 18 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Great Work!!!! 8-) :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Yep great job, and we all know that when it says "bolt in" you will need to cut, grind,bend hammer,or some adjustment will have to be made, but good luck on the rest of the project cant wait to see it done :thumbright:
dubvalman

Post by dubvalman »

While grotting around under the Valiant taking bits off getting it ready to go for panel and paint I noticed that the coating on the backing plates on the rear axle was flaking.

A bit of a rub wth a wire brush and the flaking, became falling off. It was off with the plates, into the sandblaster and cleaned off the coating.

I had some gold powder coat I had bought out of curiosity to see how it would look. Never really liked the finish. Just the job to use it up on. As these will seldom be seen, and it will provide a good robust coaing - gold it is.

Back on with the nicely finished backing plates and on to the next job.

Pulled the car apart, engine and trans out,

and its ready for the panel beater to do his stuff - once i can find the patch panels it should go reasonably quickly - or so he says.

Its back to the desert again, but at least I have the car over at the panel beaters now.

dubvalman

Re: Valiant SV1 in Ireland finally gets some attention

Post by dubvalman »

Still in the sand prison - but the clock is ticking down to my return to the real world. I am pretty hyped as my NOS reworked LA 318 arrived in a crate a few days back and is nestled in the garage waiting for the car to come back from panel and paint :woot:

That date is not known at this time. When I was back in June I visited to see the progress - which totals the vehicle being moved from the transporter to its current location. Turns out that the fabricator that did my Holden Ute left the company shortly after the Valiant was delivered and my paint guy is having a hard time finding another one. - a good one that is.

I did search around Dublin for one but I have decided I am going to hold out for my paint guy to get a new fabricator which I would really prefer - know his companies work and really respect his skills.

In the mean time I am researching a six speed transmission conversion for the Valiant - bolt that to the back of new 318 and it should be a cool cruiser with the new rear end fitted.

Will post more pics when I have them - 35 days to departure from the sand prison - but who's counting. :woohoo:
Dave999

Re: Valiant SV1 in Ireland finally gets some attention

Post by Dave999 »

I put some 5 speed install pics here

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56797&start=15

not a 6 speed but the TKO Tremec process is much the same

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
autofetish

Re:

Post by autofetish »

dubvalman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 17 7:39 pm gold it is