Thompson performance

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

drewcrane

Thompson performance

Post by drewcrane »

I found this gadget on a vette board, but they make it for edlebrock and holly carbs, for 44 bucks I though I would give it a try,my challenger has been plagued with an off idle issue due to a large cam, automatic, tall gears, etc, I have tuned a demon and and eddie to the limit, and still have a slight off idle stumble,I put this on the eddie, and man it made a huge difference, the car has far better off line acceleration , and it just drives smoother, the little plate sits in front of the squirter ,and simply tuns a hose shooting down a hole, to a nice fine mist spray ,and it just is so simple I wish I would have found this a long time ago
Attachments
P1070827.jpg
P1070827.jpg (131.51 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
P1070826.jpg
P1070826.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

Aha, I spotted those on Facebook last week. I went to their website and they tend to oversell it a bit but I could see The idea behind it and thought it should work. Great that you've tried it and it gives an appreciable improvement rather than the usual snake oil result...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Blue wrote:Aha, I spotted those on Facebook last week. I went to their website and they tend to oversell it a bit but I could see The idea behind it and thought it should work. Great that you've tried it and it gives an appreciable improvement rather than the usual snake oil result...

Yea I took the risk,it was worth it,and yes there are so many scams out there, this one is not :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
theseoldcars

Post by theseoldcars »

That's neat. Often wondered about the effects of that squirt of fuel myself. Duly noted, for when I run into the same problem! :thumbright:
Johnny Dart

Post by Johnny Dart »

Cool device, and good results for you :thumbright:
ScottyDave

Post by ScottyDave »

Nice when taken a punt on something pays off especially something so simple :thumbright:
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Looks good wish I'd known sooner my Charger was a bitch to idle did the same messed about with carb and timing but the big lumpy cam made it horrible engine even for a new one....I even considered. Drilling the floats but this seems a much simpler salution :
Good find :thumbright:
At my Worst,I'm at my Best ......
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Scooby wrote:Looks good wish I'd known sooner my Charger was a bitch to idle did the same messed about with carb and timing but the big lumpy cam made it horrible engine even for a new one....I even considered. Drilling the floats but this seems a much simpler salution :

Give it a try :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Drilling the floats is never a good idea...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Blue wrote:Drilling the floats is never a good idea...
That makes em sinkers :D
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

drewcrane wrote:
Scooby wrote:Looks good wish I'd known sooner my Charger was a bitch to idle did the same messed about with carb and timing but the big lumpy cam made it horrible engine even for a new one....I even considered. Drilling the floats but this seems a much simpler salution :

Give it a try :thumbright:
Bit late mate sold the Charger//
Blue what I actually meant was ( drill the butterflies) not floats
must have been still asleep !!
Rich...
At my Worst,I'm at my Best ......
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

So what does that plate actually do? It looks like it just directs the fuel down the side of the venturi.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Mick70RR wrote:So what does that plate actually do? It looks like it just directs the fuel down the side of the venturi.
It actually, turns the shot of fuel in to a fine mist,and simply allows a better easier burn, I have a large squirt accelerator pump, so much that it smothers the engine,if you will, this allows me to run the large amount of fuel,but spreads it out, so it will gradually deliver the fuel ,rather than dump it down like a large shot,make sense?

Here it the linky

http://www.thompsonperformance.com/
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

mopar_mark wrote:
I have also seen drilled butterfly plates :scratch:
SJH

Post by SJH »

drewcrane wrote:
mopar_mark wrote:
I have also seen drilled butterfly plates :scratch:
I think they drill butterfly plates as a last resort on engines with long duration cams and a poor idle. It allows a higher idle speed without moving the throttle stop/ butterfly position hence uncovering too much of the transition slot Otherwise the idle is using the transition slot and there will not be a smooth transition to the main jet.

Carb plate looks good in the videos

Shayne