Vibes from steering column surround.

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Vibes from steering column surround.

Post by MilesnMiles »

Been trying to track down some vague growling (non metallic) that I can hear and rises and falls with rpm. When driving I can feel it in the Ali headstock surround, but not through the steering wheel
Car drives nicely and steering feels good.

Trying to solve this I have;
Changed water pump as it was groaning a bit
Changed power steering pump today as it had too much play in the bearings.

Car still has the vibe/groan thing. Tends to be more obvious when held in second and de accelerating, 3,000-2,000 rpm. Not so obvious when doing same in drive.

I've even checked the columns shift linkage down to the box isn't hitting headers and not touching anywhere.
Any ideas, it's bugging me!
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Ok, found it. Nats now off for me.
Can someone tell me what this is called, the bit above the rag joint/uj ?
It's moving. I only when I grab it leaving the column space to float about so it's knackered I presume
Attachments
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG (134.88 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG (121.85 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
Pete

Post by Pete »

I bet that is Perfectly safe, it is a pin moving against 2 blocks as a cheap UJ format. As longs as it cannot slide out of the outer it is completely captive.

Check out the exploded diagrams and re-build kits on the 'net.

I always bin them on race cars and put in a small double UJ.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Pete

Post by Pete »

GM's have rag joints, real cars don't.

If you mean the lower column support above it, many come without bearings and just float. Again, not an issue in my opinion.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes it's all designed to move about a bit, treat yourself to a Flaming river adaptor when you're feeling flush and eliminate all of it, in the meantime carry on regardless....
Attachments
Flaming river.jpeg
Flaming river.jpeg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Ok chaps, so it can't come adrift. Difficult piece to find on the 'net as 73/4 are different than previous cars. The actual,rubber joint is recent and sound, it's the steel piece above it that has a nylon bush as I understand. That's collapsed I'm guessing.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Most Mopars I've worked on don't even have a bush there to start with. The rubber bushed K frame on the later cars means you need a rag joint as well as the usual sliding joint to allow everything to wobble about. The lack of a bush just allows an extra bit of wobble but it won't come apart. The flaming river joint and a solid mounted K frame is a definite improvement on these cars.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

I put a proper bearing on the column base of the Challenger and all the proved was that my lower shaft was hopelessly bent.

It never showed up before because there was no bottom bearing as standard (just a dust cover) and the column shaft rotated in an arc.

However, it meant that all the column load was taken by a tiny roller bearing at the top of the column held in a rubber retainer - not good!!

Hence my re-engineering it and finding all the old problems.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks for input on a busy day guys. Pete I recognise that description very well. Basically it can't come apRt and the bushing is there essentially for comfort for want of a better phrase
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

I've taken mine part in the past miles, no way it can come undone without knocking pin out, all very secure, if a bit medieval in design
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks Justin, nice to know👌
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I've changed mine in favour of the flaming river shaft that Blue posted a pic of above.
Still have the steel box part that you're holding in your pic, replaced the internals of it not long before removing it in favour of the flaming river item. Even have a new unused roll pin still in its bag ( effin small thing like :D ).
The whole thing has your name all over it if you want it or need it.
Alternatively, you can get rebilud kits for them, think Summit or year one have them, not sure about rock auto.
For a quick fix, take the top cover off and fill with grease, if you haven't already
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

The column mount gear selector mechanism goes around the steering column shaft.
I'm guessing there should be some sort of rubber or plastic bushing to isolate the gear selector mechanism from the steering column? I'm just wondering if that were perished then it might be possible for the vibration you're feeling to be transmitted up the linkage from the engine / transmission to the column?
-Jon.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Super Sloth wrote:The column mount gear selector mechanism goes around the steering column shaft.
I'm guessing there should be some sort of rubber or plastic bushing to isolate the gear selector mechanism from the steering column? I'm just wondering if that were perished then it might be possible for the vibration you're feeling to be transmitted up the linkage from the engine / transmission to the column?
There's a bearing that sits in there, it's visible in the pic. Held in by two bolts, one is visible to the left of the column shift mechanism in the pic. It's a fibre or plastic type thing with the bearing inside it. Mine was shot and I replaced it with an ally one that was made by a member, might have been Trev. Didn't cause any vibrations though, just made gear selection a bit difficult
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks chaps, really most helpful.
Nige, reckon that set up you have might be useful for me if you don't need it. When you getting a minute any chance of a pic? Just want to see of it's the same. Seems to be some differences in 73 up cars.