Brake troubles

Moderator: Moderators

rossk

Re: Brake troubles

Post by rossk »

Hi Dave

Yes, brand new and seem to be working as they should.

I'm beginning to think it might be the bolts worked lose. We did use Loctite when they were installed but looking at Wilwoods fitting instructions again they recommended a specific grade, so maybe the one we used just wasn't sufficient?

I've ordered the correct stuff now, but I think once all reinstalled it all I shall mark the bolts and visually check for any movement on a monthly basis until I'm confident all is ok.

I'm also going to not use the stick on weights and instead use the ones you tap on the rim, and anything else I can think of to eliminate it happening again.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

you could wire them together or get one of those standard bend over metal strips

you mash each end over the side of a bolt head

flat strip wide enough to have the 2 caliper mounting bolts pass through holes in it

aussie calipers used this for the bracket and the balljoint bolts onto the spindle

see here

Think US might have been pre applied locktite
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
rossk

Post by rossk »

That looks like a good idea, we had to wire lock the brake disc to the centre when we built them so I have the wire and the tools.

Its a shame the bolt wasn't designed to be slightly longer so you can thread a wire through the end of it. But I guess you risk hitting the disc if it were longer.