Carter BBD Carb

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

YOS79

Carter BBD Carb

Post by YOS79 »

Does anyone know who may stock a carb rebuild kit in the UK to suit the 265 . 2 barrel . Carter BBD . (1973 VJ)

(assuming Dave will know ... thanks in advance)

Cheers.
MattH

Re: Carter BBD Carb

Post by MattH »

I got a rebuild kit from WASP.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Dave999

Re: Carter BBD Carb

Post by Dave999 »

yeah should be some about

US ebay has them as well

3 versions of a BBD with subtle differences in each

version 1

called a low top has the lever for the accelerator pump bolted to the side at an angle and it works a plunger through the top cover
the hole is covered with a washer with a slit in it that acts a a bowl vent it is supposed to be jiggled up and down by a small spring steel wire clip on the flat rod

version 2 Tin top has a tin top on the float bowl and the accelerator pump is actuated by a rod through the side of the fuel bowl

version 3 the US 383 v8 carb looks nout like the other 2

if its an aussie carb it was made by EMAIL
if its a South african carb it was made locally and it retains it original name of a Ball and Ball Dual
if its US it was made by Carter who developed mr Ball and Mr Balls original design into the BBS and BBD

if you have a carter BBD and a normal garage has a look and says it needs a rebuild often the rebuild is not what it needs.
it needs to have the throttle shaft bushed. i think the metal they made the base of a carter BBD from is called CHEESE.

anyway you need to cut off the welded on throttle lever to take out the shaft and get it brass bushed

if you do rebuild there are 2 accelerator pumps leather and plastic i believe both can be used

use a tube of see through plastic from the front of the box that a kids toy comes in in insert the pump plunger

wrap plunger in plastic
slide plastic into body
shove down plunger
remove plastic

i'd strongly suggest that the original accelerator pump jets main and idle jets, the stepped rods and the hairwisker spring that is used with them are specific to the hemi 6

the carb includes a number of ball bearings and small weights. they need to go back in in the right order

if stuck you can buy a chinese copy for £80. look up carter BBD mopar 318 on ebay. a guy in hong kong obviously hangs around the back door of one of the factories that make carbs for US suppliers, swap in the throttle disks, the idle mix screws and the parts above and you have more or less a new carb.

throw away the chinese gaskets and the pipe on the vacuum operated choke kicker and use your originals

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying