Sounds like more trouble ahead

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Gas for GOSH

Sounds like more trouble ahead

Post by Gas for GOSH »

News on the radio this morning that govt will be trialling “noise cameras” over the next year. Supposedly they now have the technology for a device that detects when a vevicle goes past that exceeds the noise level. Double supposedly the device can detect the exact vehicle responsible and photo the reg plate like a speed camera. Triple supposedly this will then lead to a Fixed Penalty charge being issued. According to the report, however, no decision has been made about what noise level triggers the camera. :-k

Wife sets the alarm for stupid o clock so I woke up to hear this at 6am and in my semi conscious state thought they said this was being introduced to combat “particularly noisy muscle cars”. :shock: On the 7am news I heard properly “noisy motorbikes and cars”.

They had some bloke from the countryside saying “souped up cars and bikes are ruining our life”....getting a picture of one car passing a noice camera on a B road is one thing; there is a memorial bike ride (accompanied by police) from Truro each year where you could probably get half a dozen bikes in a static camera shot....maybe half of which have noisy pipes. Going to be some smart camera and enforcement system to make that stick!

Anyhow thought it might interest some of the loud n proud here. Again no defence was mentioned of any difference between an exhaust issued on the vehicle when manufactured or a custom after market upgrade.
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen
Blue

Re: Sounds like more trouble ahead

Post by Blue »

You would imagine it would be the MOT guideline which from memory is 90db at X amount of feet away? If that was the case, it might be difficult doing the distance thing with a moving vehicle?

My cars are not loud so of no concern to me really, but some of these modern BMWs and Mercs round here seem to be incredibly loud with all their popping and banging, sounds to me like they have no mufflers at all.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

My focus does bang-bangs. There is a button that makes it do it! And thats on a new car !
Now i think about it, it is pretty antisocial. Haha!
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Anthony Montagnani

Post by Anthony Montagnani »

Well most of the classic Americans are naturally loud and recently MOT exempt so be interesting to see how this pans out for us but most Harley Davidson bikes are even louder then anything so how’s that gonna work?
Blue

Post by Blue »

Yes I was forgetting about Harleys, most of those just have open pipes, clearly that gets overlooked at MOT...IMO Most american stuff isn't that loud compared to offroad Bikes/quads/Jap/Euro boy racer type stuff.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Ive bought a decibel meter,because to race at some of the straightliners events are noise restricted.
110db at 2/3rd rpm,so about 4000rpm,1 metre from exhaust tip.
Coronet,440+6 (485hp) flowmaster mufflers is 112db
belvedere 540 (660hp) open headers 120db
06 charger 5.7hemi,stock mufflers 104db
theres always someone to spoil our fun [-X
Dom66

Post by Dom66 »

I always thought accurate sound level measurement was quite tricky and required some careful control of the immediate environment for reference levels. Hard to see how it could be that accurate given the variables, moving vehicle, moving surrounding vehicles causing reverberations, additional possible external sound sources etc. I could imagine a system like this being used to identify and call in a suspect vehicle for a controlled test, but to issue a fine just on the basis of this system... could make for some interesting court cases if challenged.

Watching, but not worried yet.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I read the other day that ANPR cameras cant read pressed metal number plates? Anyone know for sure if that’s true? If it is then that will be the next thing getting the chop...
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Blue wrote: Mon Jun 10, 19 11:13 am I read the other day that ANPR cameras cant read pressed metal number plates? Anyone know for sure if that’s true? If it is then that will be the next thing getting the chop...
Not true, sadly.
I got a speeding ticket in my wifes mk1 Triumph GT6 a few years back which was equipped with pressed black and silver plates.

Your best chance is altering the angle of the numberplate bracket so the plate is legible when stood at the front for the benefit of th rozzers but not legible at the top of a pole where the camera resides! ;)
-Jon.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I got measured at the NEC in the Challenger - Open Headers - at 2,500rpm >>> 121Db; which is the same that Motorhead was recorded, which is nice.

Gives you an idea at the sort of volume we are talking about.

Both My Harleys are a bit meaty too.... :? :? :cry: :cry: :-k :-k
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
DougieJ

Post by DougieJ »

Blue wrote: Mon Jun 10, 19 11:13 am I read the other day that ANPR cameras cant read pressed metal number plates? Anyone know for sure if that’s true? If it is then that will be the next thing getting the chop...
As SS says they can still read pressed plates - even the bike ones (assuming they are looking at the rear).

Difference is that while they can see modern plates in all weather's (snow, fog, rain) due to the IR lamps and the reflective nature of the plate. This ability gets lost in those conditions with pressed plates. So just need to drive around in the fog!

Used to use them a lot for vehicle surveys.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think they can read the compliant pressed black and silver plates but not American style pressed ones as the letters etc are a different size. I only say this because the ANPR at Sainsbuys cant read the plates on my Dodge
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
XP29

Post by XP29 »

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 26, 19 7:51 pm I think they can read the compliant pressed black and silver plates but not American style pressed ones as the letters etc are a different size. I only say this because the ANPR at Sainsbuys cant read the plates on my Dodge
The Sainsbury’s here has a plate reader which does not pick up the us style plates we have. The Dartford crossing can read them.
1966 Charger, 383 4bbl, 4 speed manual trans, Sure-grip, original paint.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Nothing seems to be able to read my Angolan number plates

8-[
Attachments
7360C3A7-FA3C-4C5C-A27B-4D600F8D13D0.png
7360C3A7-FA3C-4C5C-A27B-4D600F8D13D0.png (500.28 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
34D88EE5-8734-45FA-AA47-88E394703493.png
34D88EE5-8734-45FA-AA47-88E394703493.png (469.82 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
5FCA2E0E-5489-4E16-BD24-2268C7C7248B.png
5FCA2E0E-5489-4E16-BD24-2268C7C7248B.png (462.94 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Also what I thought was interesting is that cars are type approved in a selected mode

Let’s take a new Lamborghini Aventador

In standard street mode (strada) the car is legal but in sport or race mode the exhaust flaps open and it’s illegal
Attachments
8A7A59C6-4906-41CB-9E96-6E6C3930CF79.jpeg
8A7A59C6-4906-41CB-9E96-6E6C3930CF79.jpeg (138.72 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
The closer you are to death the more alive you are