York mid 80`s

Post photos from past events here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick

Post by Mick »

If i'm not mistaken, the red Barracuda was owned by a friend of mine in Nottingham, it was a 318 Gran Coupe, his name was Ian Turberville, he is the track photographer at the pod and avon park for the bikes.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

unbelieveable :o

more info Sandy.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

neil wrote:unbelieveable :o

more info Sandy.
Hi Neil,

My photos were taken in 1986 at the AAC Northern ??? Nationals at Ripon. The guy sitting in the door of the Firebird is John Lyle from Livingston who owned the car then. A little old lady brought the car from the US (actually Canada if I remember it right) when she came back to Scotland and then found it a bit big for the roads around Inverness. She traded it for a Fiesta and John bought it, still with the redline tyres on it (it was deadly, on the trip down to Ripon he almost didn't make the bend onto the Tyne bridge and nearly went for a swim).

You will be pleased to know the car still exists :)

But has a late-ish (note serpentine belt) chevy small block in it.

When, of course, it should have this.

All the best
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

fantastic Sandy, great to know it`s still around and looked after, whereabouts is it?

I knew it had a history in Scotland from old DVLA papers. I bought it in Harrogate.
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

a mate off mine had that chevy v8 engine put in to give it a good resale value as everytime he put it for sale nodody wanted it with that sprint six in it
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Where did the Sprint Six go, Duncan ?
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

dont know but will make enquires
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Neil.

I think this is the HemiCuda I almost bought for ?1300 around 1982 (although the one I was looking at was B5 blue) but I think you said you owned it at one point?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well, don`t know if that`s it Dave, but here`s another showing how it looked back then with 383 fitted (sold for ?1100 :cry: )
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

See now I remembered it being that colour but I also remembered it having a shaker. Although that might just be my poor memory.

I am confused because if that was you I was talking to all those years ago just off Northumberland street I seem to remember being told it was still the original paint and indeed it did look original. But the Hemi car was originally (and restored to) Plumb Crazy if I remember right. :?

Maybe it was another car and another person completely that offered me a Cuda for ?1300??? Maybe the car I saw was never a HemiCuda??

Now when talking to Mick at Low Walker years ago he said he owned it around that time and it was him I was talking to. Plus he said it had a 318 fitted. Which didn't seem right to me but that is what he said. Mind you he did later go a bit odd.

I wonder how it was looking and powered exactly when RPM got hold of it to restore? It certainly had a shaker by the time they had finished it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well I guess we`ll never know. I never knew what the VIN tag decode was back then. I remember it having a wood rim steering wheel and bench with folding armrest and lots of electrical gremlins ;)
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Ah! I am pretty sure the hemi car had buckets all its life. And I am sure the car I was offered had buckets.

But if the car i was offered was the hemi car and I remembered right about the shaker (which I am still not sure about) then how was the dual carb shaker mounted onto the 318 I was told was in there? And how come I remember it being B5 blue like yours?

I wish I could remember that night better. But I had looked at and fell in love with a red 70 cuda with shaker at SPR so I knew what I wanted and I am sure the car I looked at had everything I wanted. If only I could remember what the engine call-out said. I remember looking at it but I can't see it in my head. :(

If I remembered the shaker wrong then it still might have been your car.

Has someone out there still got the copy of street machine magazine that featured the car on the front cover?
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

WAS THAT CUDA RACER THE TONY LANFRANCHINI CAR DAVE???????
and do you reckon its got restored by rpm??? as well as jim wilsons??????
Blue

Post by Blue »

Might be wrong here but didn't that circuit racer 'Cuda end up in France?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

That was another one Blue. There were various hemicuda and AAR cudas raced in Europe. The one that was restored by rpm was raced by a guy in England. It was the one fought over because one guy had the original engine and I think it was Sunshine Classics had the car. RPM restored it and it went to Norway or sweden. Then later for a lot of money to the USA. It was on the front cover of Street Machine just after being restored. Had a standard dash rather than the rallye I remember now.

The race car in the photo is Tony Lanfranchi at Brands Hatch Duncan so you are right there. i don't know if it is the same car or not as I don't know who the bloke is! :)