Hi Torque Starter

Moderator: Moderators

rpeters

Hi Torque Starter

Post by rpeters »

Hi All, not been on here for a while!…
Can someone advise please?
I just bought a hi torques state tee from JEGS for my 383 engines charger. It only has 9 teeth whereas the original has 10 teeth.
JEGS tech guy said it would work fine but I am reluctant to try. Has anyone come across this please?
Cheers
Rob
Dave999

Re: Hi Torque Starter

Post by Dave999 »

well most common aftermarket starters for mopars usually have a 32 mm 10 tooth pinion

A Mopar mini starter like this one below, is based on a Mopar OEM part made by denso used initially on 318 360 and v6 Magnum style engines in 80s/ 90s dodge trucks, and for big and small block use usually has a 32 mm 10 tooth pinion

https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9533/10002/-1

did'nt give you one for a chevy 383 did they?

like this
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10001/10002/-1

Basically
is yours a denso? or modelled after a denso like the one in the first picture.
if so they have always have a 32 mm 10 tooth pinion for use with all US mopars of the muscle car era except a few combinations in 1960 and some hemis

If your new starter is a unique or different design not modelled after the OEM Denso part for a dakota truck
Then the pinion size is dictated by the dimensions of that unique starter. so Jegs could be correct and there may indeed be nothing wrong with it

pinion size is dicated by distance from centre line of crank to the mounting, and although the distance doesn't change the offset of the shaft and its mounting in a starter can, when the design of the starter is different.
No. of teeth doesn't matter its the shape that counts
size of pinion dictated by mounting

my own car can use a 25mm 9 tooth or a 27 mm 10 tooth starter the 27 mm 10 tooth has the centre of the starter pinion 1 mm further away from the flywheel ring gear than the 9 tooth one. All dicated by the configuration of the snout of the starter and its mounting holes.. both work fine

not using a denso may be of benefit on a big block. sometimes the dakota truck denso which was never designed to fit a big block hits a boss in the side of a 383 and you have to grind it down.

so if its a denso its got the wrong pinion
if its not a denso and doesn't look at all like the first one mentioned i'd go with what jegs say
all it will do is grind and not start or wizzzz and not start.

but think about if you want to send it back they may well not take it back if its been mounted

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
rpeters

Post by rpeters »

rpeters

Post by rpeters »

Think I will play save and swop it for the one in th efirst picture!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

don't be too hasty

I don't think you need to

it looks like a denso but they may have made it Ultra Torque by altering the gearing inside
if they altered the gearing in the head of the unit the visible pinion shaft may have moved over in relation to the mount
i.e if you change the size of 2 gears hidden in the starter and one get bigger you are going to have to move the shaft it drives
if you move the shaft the pinion on the end will need to chaneg size by the same amount

Hence it has a different number of teeth and a smaller pinion.

I think you are alright

as i say number of teeth doesn't matter its the shape

this starter looks like its based on a denso design but has been modified by the manufacturer

if jegs say it works it will work.
powermaster have a good reputation they will have done a good job.you have a billet alluminium mount on that thing i'd suggest it will probably outlast the car...

this slight design change may also pay divdends in fitment ease as the starter motor body may be rotated slightly away from the block

its like my example for my car i can use a 25mm 9 tooth or a 27mm 10 tooth starter only difference is the position of the pinion shaft in relation to the mounting holes. Both still work

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Blue

Post by Blue »

I think that one’s the Hitachi style, Denso is a bit more compact.
Attachments
IMG_1318.jpeg
IMG_1318.jpeg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 12049 times
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Speaking of starters ,just fitted my new powermaster starter , it just touches the headers should i take a hammer to the headers or will it be ok ??
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Blue

Post by Blue »

You’ll have to give the headers a clout, if they are touching the starter it will get too hot. I would use a wrap around the starter if clearance is that tight.
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue wrote: Sat Aug 26, 23 9:12 am You’ll have to give the headers a clout, if they are touching the starter it will get too hot. I would use a wrap around the starter if clearance is that tight.
thanks Blue i guessed it would need a bit of teasing ,,,,will fire up some photos so show how tight it is ...should have invested in some TTIs ,maybe an upgrade if i keep it ...Getting real close now and thanks for the bits ...Mark is hopefully coming over to give the wiring a once over when its ready and we will fire it up ....Excited but worried i will find another thousand reasons to spend money
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

After I fitted the Mini Starter to the Dodge, I found an ad for a useful adaptor to move the terminals away from the engine block. I never did actually buy one so I'm not sure how well it works.
Just found it at Summit...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-820442
sum-820442_sx_xl.jpg
sum-820442_sx_xl.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 11991 times
Surely worth a try at $20
(plus shipping obvs)
Blue

Post by Blue »

That adaptor will help with the block clearance issues on big blocks but might then cause clearance issues with cables and headers, not used one either.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Minor point, and maybe not relevant at all in your case, but I fitted one to my 383 and found it much easier to fit the two cables before I offered the starter up to the block. On mine, I would say its virtually imposible (with my sausage fingers anyway) to fit the wires after the starter is in place. That and the metal plate that goes between the starter and the block made for a few swear words whilst under the car.

It took a couple of attempts to get it to fit perfectly but there is a noticeable healthy and satisfying mini ''clunk' when its seated in properly and the faces of the starter, plate and block are perfectly square.

I miss that lazy sound of a Mopar not starting with the original starter but havent looked back as the mini starter really spins her up like a modern one

Cheers Steve
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
rpeters

Post by rpeters »

Fitted same as you did Steve….works great…no lumbering slow turnover on start up now especially with the electronic ignition upgrade…

Any one after a high torque starter… i have a new one for sale???

Cheers
Rob