Rob & Stu's 63 Polara 500

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Brilliant pictures and fascinating story.

Thanks for sharing.

That engine is absolutely fantastic. I bet you have some serious grinning to look forward to once that engine is back up and running. ;) :)
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

You betcha Clivey :D

just puzzlin over how we're gonna use a line-loc with push button trans.... :-k
prob not too much of a prob, but not as easy the conventional way with button on shifter.
Just need to find somewhere for line-loc switch - depends whether it'll be for left or right hand use :shock:
Burn-outs will have to be done in drive (not 1, 2, 3) or we wont have a hand on the wheel & 1 on the switch.... :scratch:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Floor switch ?
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Superb story...a bit of a drag that something that looked so good had seen the motor thrown together on the cheap, but hey, that's being fixed!

Now to shorten the wheelbase and get those Ali panels made :shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

that's a great write up and superb pic's, many thanks for sharing 'em.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

thanks y'all, hope it didnt go on too much. Tend to ramble at times.... :roll:

Floor switch might work Sandy, as long we dont get mixed up with the headlamp switch :?

Youre right about it being a bit of a drag Ivor, to say the least.
Still dont know whether the seller was trying to get one over on us, or whether they were genuinely ignorant of the problems. Cant believe that tho, with all the great cars he has. We got on very well with him & his mechanic, and they were happy to keep in touch - until I started asking questions whether they could remember any signs that there may have been problems. They denied all knowledge, took offence and offered a full refund if we wanted to send the car back. Havent heard back since. Oh well, luck of the draw I suppose.
And as you say, being done right now at least.

Personally speaking, for the real super stock look (ie altered wheel base) I'd go for a 65 Plymouth. Love 'em. have to have a hemi with cross-ram tho. Now theres a thought.... :-k

my fave 65 pic.... not altered wheel base, but its got the right look :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Don't use an electrical line loc use a manual valve we ran into the nines with the push button in the belv, only reason it came out was because we did the front pump in on the box, but it took a lot of abuse, that way you just lock out the rear braking system push the brake and then you still have 2 free hands ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have seen floor switches used on big Buicks that have a switch-pitch torque convertor.

Effectively, what is used is another headlight switch, and it works well. Fit a lamp so you know when the lock is activated.

Roll up, right foot brake, left foot set line lock, right foot hit gas, left hand change up to second, right hand grip wheel, left hand wave to Dave (Drogo), right foot lift off gas, left foot hit line lock off, roll forward, left hand hit drive, left foot brake, right foot gas, green light ... gone.

Colour Me Busy.

;)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Above info for RHD or sitting in seat backwards :?:
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

:laughing3: Excellent!
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Yes great story and picture's Rob :)
Cant wait to see it going down the strip at the NATS fella 8-)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

My apologies, I thought the gear selector was to the left of the steering wheel and hence would require the use of the left hand to manually change gear.

But, hey, what do I know ?

Best to leave it to the experts.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ahh now you see I thought you were generalising rather than speaking exclusivley about Maxie, in which case of course, you would be correct!
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

Great story Rob, makes me wonder what I might find when I get the heads off. First time I took the rocker covers off to fix an oil leak I noticed a push rod was missing! Found it in the valley. Turned out to be an MP cam (.509) with a worn lobe. Fitted a new cam and lifters (not MP)and it's been fine since.