Rob & Stu's 63 Polara 500

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Sorry I only just read this thread. :oops: I could have told you ages ago it is your shifter cable for sure. You have to keep them well away from the exhaust.
I have to re-route my own if possible as the insulation I put on mine has not been enough to prevent problems. I might even change the length too if Speedy Cables can do that. Mine is too long routed one way and too short another way. :x

Oh and white letter tyres are only cool if on a Jeep or a very jacked up muscle car with General Grabbers that are too big and stick out of the arches. :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've got white letters :drwho:

Problem is,the rears say Hoosiers & the fronts say Goodrich :(
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Oh! Of course raised white letters are OK on slicks as well. :D
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Dave wrote:Sorry I only just read this thread. :oops: I could have told you ages ago it is your shifter cable for sure. You have to keep them well away from the exhaust.
I have to re-route my own if possible as the insulation I put on mine has not been enough to prevent problems. I might even change the length too if Speedy Cables can do that. Mine is too long routed one way and too short another way. :x

Oh and white letter tyres are only cool if on a Jeep or a very jacked up muscle car with General Grabbers that are too big and stick out of the arches. :lol:
Bit of advice Dave (here's a first, ME giving Dave advice! But he probably knows it already :roll: )....

Got our cable back from Speedy, with 8" added in length, as requested. Push buttons work at treat, better than I could have hoped for.
Trouble is, while the outer cable was made 8" longer, the inner has only been increased in length by about 7-13/16", ie 3/16 (5mm) too short.
What this means in practical terms is that we can now engage all gears with the pushbutons, except 1st gear won't latch in. Lookin at the mechanism, all we can think is it's the missing 5mm that's stopping the cable move enough to just get that last bit.
So cable's back out again and going back to Speedy (here's the advice) WITH A SKETCH SHOWING DIMENSIONS OF HOW MUCH EACH END OF THE INNER PROTRUDES FROM THE OUTER!
Hopefully get it back before Easter weekend so we can fit it when I return from Scortlund.

Oh, and the 'new' neutral safety switch, courtesy of Blue's stores, looks like it'll work a treat too. Once we've done the wiring, that is :help:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Some progress at last :roll:
While I was away sunning myself in Scotland :shock: Stu got the cable back from Speedy, with the length corrected, and got it hooked up at the pushbutton end. Also took the back seat out to remove the rear interior panels so we can get them off to SMS for resto.
So we spent Easter Monday getting the trans end of the cable hooked up and adjusted, sump on, fluid refilled, neutral switch wired, and hey presto, we have gears :woohoo:

Now where were we, oh yeah, vibrations to sort out, brakes, speedo cable ......
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well done Rob & Stu , good to hear the cable issue finaly sorted. :thumbright:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Yeah, didnt take long did it :oops:
Derek

Post by Derek »

RobTwin wrote:Yeah, didnt take long did it :oops:
About 5mm I would say :lol:
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

:boomboom:

It's amazing what difference 5mm makes :shock:
Blue

Post by Blue »

:thumbright:
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Good news.

You had nice weather for the holidays :) It's like this all the time you know, we just don't tell folk ;)
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Bit more progress on the old jalopy today :thumbright: gradually whittling away at the 'items needing attention list'........

After tracking some of (all of?) our vibration problems down to loose u.j. circlips and a split trans mount, managed to fit the replacements today.
Thanks to Blue for the circlips :thumbright: and thanks to Mr Schumacher (no, not that one) for the trans mount that took just a week to arrive.

After a quick :lol: oil change (why does it take so long to drain out :scratch: ) went for a brief test drive and we're pleased to report a vast improvement over how it was before \:D/

Well, good enough to get to Brooklands & back next week, but will need to do a bit more testing & checking before we sign up for the SAMS at the Nats ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Better give me the circlips back then. :D

Well done Twinneys , glad you sorted the on going vibration problem. :thumbright:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Yes Ad, got that complete UJ to give back to you - Brooklands ok?
We'll heve to sort out a meeting point for that, but leave it to a separate thread (dont want to hijack my own thread :geek: )
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Blimey, has it really been that long since this has been updated? Spose it's cos we actually got to use the car quite a lot this (oops, last) year.

Something we were waiting till the end of the 'season' to do was to refit the interior with bits'n'bobs we'd gathered over the last year or two:
Seat covers from Legendary
Door panels from SMS
Seat belts from Julianos
Weatherstrip/windlace from Laysons/Kramers
Instrument cluster from AutoInstruments (not received it yet tho)

Ok, so it's not as sexy as reporting on some shiny new pistons :roll: but we've been thru all that 18 months ago. We have got some go faster goodies (kind of) in the form a of a full TTI system to go on, over the winter but we'll get onto that when the interior's done.

Spent a couple of hours on the car last Sunday, but Stuart had already fitted the windlace & rubbers around the door opening & roof rail.
Doors are predictably harder to shut now but feel nice & tight compared to before. At least the windows shouldnt rattle when driving around now.

Got the seat covers fitted just before Xmas but before they can go back in we needed to fit the rear seat belts & rear 'door' (?) panels. Panels need holes made in the new vinyl for the arm rests & fixing screws. When I left Stu's that was the next job to be finished.

Seat belt hole positions are a bit limited cos of the floor shape on the underside for the bracing plates - just where the outboard holes would be best is right where the frame rail is, so no chance of fitting the plates.
So the belts look like they might be too close together - we'll see when the seats go back in.

Had some probs with supply & quality of these parts but I'll go into that next time.
For now, here's some pics from Sunday.....