Aborted MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Chris&Adam

Aborted MOT

Post by Chris&Adam »

Just thought I would let everyone know that I have just taken the Roadrunner for its MOT and after 15 minutes the guy said he would have to abort it!!!!! Why???? Because he put the details into the new "computer system" and it didnt give him the weight of the car!!! Apparently they need this to work out the ratio of the brakes effectiveness when compared to the car weight. I told him what I thought it was but he said I had to get the car weighed and bring it back with a certificate showing the "true" weight or NO MOT.
Anyone else had this happen????? Now I wonder if I used the bathroom scales to weigh each corner then add them together :lol: :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I took a '77 Datsun for Mot yesterday, left em to it but I did notice them going out on the road in it with one of those G gauges on the floor, presumably to test the brakes. Only ever seen them to that on a 4x4 before. Maybe same reason? If so, they should be able to do it that way on yours.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've never had that but a mate had it years ago with his 56 buick so its nothing to do with the new computers
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

as I understand it, the first time the car details are entered onto the new system, those details are there for life. With cars like ours, the details are not likely to be common on the system so they will not know what to enter. I just sneaked in my MOT before the new system went compulsory in the new year so haven`t encountered this yet.

Do they need gross weight or axle weights? My door sticker has these numbers, so I`m guessing these are what they want. Obviously yours will be different :)

It might be a good idea to get all the car model figures together for reference, similar to idea for body sizes. Put them up as a sticky somewhere?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I took mine for an MOT and the guy was scratching his head for ages as the "Dodges" he had listed didnt match my car.

He managed it in the end though and my car now must be registered on the DVLA database as I got my tax by post.

One thing he didnt do though is put the car on the rollers and try the brakes which i thought was wierd. He said that this didnt need to be done for a car of this age? Seems odd to me

Anyway it might have been something to do with me being the last car to be MOTed late on a Saturday when there was a big game on...lol
Holly

Post by Holly »

I just told them the book weight for my Charger in Kilos.
Chris&Adam

Post by Chris&Adam »

Had the car weighed at a weighbridge, cost £3, and now have a certificate that says the car weighs 1700 kgs. 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. Oh the joys of the MOT!!!!!

Chris.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Just had my Coronet MOT'd today, and my regular tester said Dodge wasn't even on the VOSA database as a Make. :roll: So my MOT certificate now says it's a Chrysler-Jeep, which is a bit of a worry. He always tests the brakes with one of those G meters - he says the rollers will wreck a LSD. I think he just likes to go for a ride in it.

On a related subject, I didn't get a tax reminder for my Jeep (which really is a Jeep, not a Dodge), so I took my V5 and other docs to the Post Office on Tues, to beat the Budget. Counter clerk said I didn't get a reminder because I haven't sent my V5 to DVLA to get a new style one, and my Jeep won't be on the DVLA database anymore :?: How was I supposed to know to do that? "It was on the telly" she said. Doesn't explain why I did get a reminder for the Dodge, which also has an old style V5. Anyway, she confiscated my Jeep V5 and said I was to call DVLA if I don't get a replacement in 6 weeks.

Anyone else had this nonsense?
Holly

Post by Holly »

I got new V5s for all my cars, my guess is what you were told was an excuse ... and there is Dodge on VOSA, my local station could pull up several Dodge Chargers (but not an '87 one) when I took it in, that was in July last year, not long after they brought in the new test, lol ...
DaveMadders

Post by DaveMadders »

I register many freshly imported vehicles and get them MOT'd for the first time..... there is obviously no record of them on the DVLA database........ which is great !! It means I get the chance to work with the MOT station and create an accurate entry on the DVLA computer instead of an approximation typed in my some pillock at Swansea.... it means having a decent rapport with the MOT station but most are OK.

They type in the CA Registration (it has a facility to take foreign reg) and type in the VIN and then ask it to search the database....... it cannot find a match....... no great surprise.

You then get a chance to abort the VSI search and manually overtype the details so you can have a Plymouth Roadrunner instead of a Chrysler Sedan.

Just takes a little patience the first time but they seem to find it easy now.

As for the kerb weight for brake testing...... they accept my approximation rather than making me weigh them........ lbs to Kg conversion........ they do need to to rolled in the brake tester however...... unless you got a funky diff I guess.

Just my experiences.........
Dave Madders 0161 428 4281
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Dosen't the brake test rollers damage the auto transmission?
Holly

Post by Holly »

Shouldn't so since they don't spin the wheels at high speed (just like towing, really).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Your not supposed to tow an auto by the driven wheels.
Holly

Post by Holly »

I thought it was ok up to 30mph or so?