Gav's 71 Challenger Convertible - Panther Pink, SB stroker

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Looking forward to seeing it finished Gavin, glad to hear you are still determined to get there.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Just wanted to say a big thank you for such a good write up i have read everything twice and I'm still going to read it again.

Some such good ideas and the workman ship is on another level.

Keep the post coming
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

No problem, thanks for your kind words! If it can help in a small way here and there then I'll find that very satisfying!

Coincidentally I'm just about to get three days to work on it uninterrupted, just the second time this year :thumbright:
Not feeling too well, but hell I'll just have to get on with it!!
I did finally break the back of the vert top so with some tidying that is done, onwards and upwards!
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
sinny

Post by sinny »

Some amazing work there Gavin a real credit to you. Keep up the good work & keep the updates coming mate. :thumbright:
Shaun 'Moparless' Senior
MMA Club Chairman
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Any one new to the MMA amazing build :thumbright:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

autofetish wrote:Any one new to the MMA amazingly SLOW build :thumbright:
Yeah you're right there. :D
Mick

Post by Mick »

He's written it into his will, so his children can Bananarama!.
Mick :D
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Mick wrote:He's written it into his will, so his children can Bananarama!.
Mick :D
:laughing3: Priceless Mick!

I do wonder if Gav will actually get it finished before the oil runs out!
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Anything done on the car since the last update Gav?
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
MattH

Post by MattH »

I saw Gav at Harpenden, he has had back problems which have prevented work on the car for some time now. I do hope progress can be made again soon.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
MrNorm

Post by MrNorm »

Yes, unfortunately several things conspired to halt progress :cry: :cry:

The arrival of the kids 7 years ago put a massive dent in my time availability, that made a huge difference in getting work done, it always went to the bottom of the pile.
Then to really add to that, as Matt mentioned, I've had some health problems that again have had a huge impact. I've had a back problem (operation, metal screws etc) for decades and the entire rebuild so far was carried out with that in place - so I know what it is to try and work around these things.

But a year ago I had a back issue which saw me off work for months, more tests and treatment, and now although I'm not in constant pain, I am severely limited in what I can lift etc. Even that pales into insignificance compared to my other health issue, I've had loads of wrist/arm/neck issues which mean I struggle just to get through the working day - driving an hour each way, sitting at a desk for hours etc. I am just about managing but again am severely restricted in any car work. Also have had to give up my guitar, etc.

When you add all those, I have done pretty much nothing on the car for the last couple of years :cry: :cry: It is pretty depressing!

Having said all of that......

Firstly, I am not looking for sympathy - I recognise that many people are a lot worse off than me and I am very lucky to have what I do. As many of you know I am a Christian and this has just reiterated the need for me to reflect on what is really important. Whatever the future holds I can't take the car with me, I'm just as passionate about it as ever but it's only temporary. Believing what I do, my priority should be to focus on things that have eternal significance and implications. That doesn't preclude getting the car done and enjoying it of course, it's just a question of perspective.

I am still determined to finish the car. Hopefully I will finally get some answers/resolution to the medical issues. If I don't I need to find a plan B. Either way I need to Bananarama!. Maybe I'll need to sub out assembling the engine. that would be a major shame because of all the parts that's the one I really wanted to do, but if that becomes necessary then I guess I'll have to do it.

Also, since I last posted my a long time ago, I did make further progress - like installing the new convertible top, an enormous PITA, and a bunch of other stuff. At least I ought to update this post with that (but typing is a problem... :roll: )

Well you asked, hope you don't mind my update! My issues are ever-present and frustrating to me, but again I stress I recognise just how fortunate I am and I truly believe that God knows what he's dong. We all know people, even within the club, who are not even here anymore, they would have given anything to only have my problems.
Gavin Chisholm - 414ci W2 Stroker SmallBlock Panther Pink '71 Challenger convertible - in bits
Car progress can be viewed here
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Gavin, thanks for writing that up. Most importantly, I hope some resolution to your health issues becomes possible in due course, it sounds very difficult.
All the best.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Wow. Thats quite a post - I hadnt realised any of that. But thinking about it I have not seen you/kids since Harpenden a couple of years ago.
Kudos on having a sense of perspective on whats important. They are only (pink)metal and rubber.
Best wishes to you sir :thumbright:
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Raminduction

Post by Raminduction »

MrNorm wrote: I truly believe that God knows what he's doing

Anyone going to tell him :) ........
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Uncalled for.:roll:

Raminduction wrote:
MrNorm wrote: I truly believe that God knows what he's doing

Anyone going to tell him :) ........
I'm here because Im not all there!!