Clives 1970 Charger RT May Progress

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Clives 1970 Charger RT May Progress

Post by Anonymous »

Ok, here goes.
some History.

I imported this car myself from Texas about 2 1/2 years ago. Its a genuine R/T with matching numbers everywhere except, you guessed it - the block. Found out a bit late on that one. When it turned up it looked solid, but the paint was ruined. It looked like someone had been over it with a sand blaster from 10 paces.

Here is how she looked. :D
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 16, 09 5:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

OK, so I went to get the old girl MOT'd, and did so through handing the car to Martin Saville at RPM. £5.5k later I had my MOT, and the old girl had new tyres, completely rebuilt steering and front suspension, hedman headers mini starter and a host of other stuff. Not long after, I had problems. Thae last of which (and the one that took the car off the road) was a big end letting go whilst I took my current girlfreind out on our second date. I was giving the old girl a proper spanking and she said "right thats enough".

So, after pfaffing around with what I was going to do, my brother advised me to stop tarting about and get the whole car done properly. At the advice of Jim Wilson, I contacted John Castleman, discussed what could be done, and arrangements were made to take the car to JPC.

Here is the old girl on the trailer
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anyway, it was decided that the car was going to be acid dipped to et all the paint off. And so it happened. That was a nerve wracking time as I wasnt sure what would come out of the tank, and whether a dust pan n brush would be required to get it back to johns.

Once back, it had rot, which was inevitable but it was a hell of a lot better than I had expected. Here is what she looked like
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some more after the dip. The boot floor was a horror story. It had had three. The original was still there with the remains of two poorer replacements put in on top
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

No Del, he doesnt. He knows his stuff and he only does thins one way -properly. The last time my car looked like that it was on an assembly line.

So, while this is going on, I decided I didnt want that old 68 440. If I couldnt get the original engine, it had to be a 1970 date coded engine. So, after lots of phone calls chasing leads after seeing a complete sump to air filter 6-pack engine up for grabs, I was interoduced to a guy called Gene in Illinois, who had one sitting in his workshop from a V code super bee. He sent pictures of the engine and the number, and the dash and title docs from what was left of the 70 bee (which was well dead I can tell you). So, I bought and flew over a short block and heads that were all fully machined. decked, align bored and bored out 30 thou. New 6-pack rods and pistons,, rebuilt heads with new valves, uides and springs etc. etc.

I had bought a cast iron manifold carbs and original steel aircleaner previosuly for wait for it £1800 and flew them over. But, I sold the carbs and bought three new ones from Gene for - £1300 OUCH (of course thats with all the exes included). The engine has a new 6-pack stock grind camshaft, new billet double roller timing chain and sprockets, new high volume oil pump, dizzy drive, fuel pump etc etc etc. I got genuine 6-pack rocker covers (yes, 1970 only and unique to 6-pqack that year) and sump from Duncan (thanks again mate ;) ) I sourced original HP cast exhaust manifolds thanks to Derek. They have been shot blasted and coated. I wont bore you but I have been collecting stuff for a while now. It will look like an original 6-pack car when done. The bulkhead is being welded up, a non-ac heater fitted which was sourced from the states and rejuvenaated with the assistance of Neil Willet and Don Gould (cheers chaps). I got non-ac heater controls from dunc (thanks once more).

My engine looked like this once I got it ack from heathrow
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anyway, the engine doesnt look like that now. Its orange, and is pretty much built. I have to finish prepping the rocker covers for painting, get the air filter base powder coated satin black, fit inlet manifold upwards and she is done. I have brand new rocker shafts and fixing hardware, rockers, and chrome moly pushrods fitted but the assemblies havent been torqued down yet. They are all losse as I want to keep the pressure off the valve sprongs till nearer fireup time. The gearbox is rebuilt totally, with a stage 2 shift kit added and a sprag, All wrapped up waiting to go in the car. It looks a lovelly shink ally colour :D

So, John and co set to work. Below are some pics of metal going on the car.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 16, 06 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry, heres what it is like now, and I didnt take as many pics as I should have, but they give an idea.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well thats it for now, except to say, its going to be EW1 white when its done, with burnt orange interior, and a red bumble bee stripe. Its staying on 14 inch magnums, albeit refurbished ones. All the chrome is done, its getting all new wiring looms, door handles , gas cap, fuel tank and hardware, brake lines, fuel lines etc. etc.

Rich, I know it will be good when its done - its at JPC :lol: Hope that doesnt sound a bit conceited but I have seen phils car at various stages, and everything else John and co are doing as well as my car. It needs to be seen, as I cant explain what it is like. I am chuffed to bits with the work and the service. Just wish I could do more myself but I wanted it done properly. It will look original but there will be subtle differeces through choice of mine. It is getting a gunslinger pistol grip shifter for starters.

More pics as they are available, but heres one for Phill. Andy and Steve are in the pic. Steve has a 69 RR that is having the same level of work done. That will be a cracker too :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some more i shouldda posted earlier

The picture of the three shows Steves 69 Runner next to the shell of my car just back from dipping, and an ongoing early Poncho GTO, which now has the most fantastic metallic blue paint on it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some more piccies. This time, my recently returned wiper, and headlight door motor. If anyone is considering using Mopar Essentials, I couldnt recommend Rick Kish highly enough. His work and service are second to none.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ok, a few more pics. A little progress has been made, but it should take off now. Filling statrted. Hopefully some paint will be on it within the next few weeks
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Couple more
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Some more. Progress still slow but its happening.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hiya People,

well, so as noto bore you all to death, I have taken a run through all NINE pages of my thread and cut out all the peripheral chat, leaving just pictures in the main.

So, the next update. Been to JPC, and found wings, doors and boot lid fitted. It wont be long now till it gets its 2 pack polyester filler for blocking back, and then paint. Some repairs are needed to the leading edge of the pass side fender, and just behind the arch at sill level on the drivers side fender. The front of the bonnet underneath where the catch is fitted is being re-made also. It was peppered with holes and so a new piece is being made. There is one photo of the bonnet showing the piece removed. The body just looks SOOOOOOOO sharp. Its gonna be crisp when its done :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

And a couple more.

The doors n bonnet ect are black as this is the protective coating the acid dipper applies to prevent future corrosion issues.

The doors are in fantastic shape BTW - inside, outside and underneath, as is the boot lid.

More to come, next week :thumbright: :D